TO ACCEPT, OR NOT TO ACCEPT: PREREQUISITES TO ENSURE QUALITY TEACHER TRAINING
The research focuses on the problem of acceptability of applicants with the minimal level of the Unified State Exam (the USE) to teacher training programs, and coinage of language teachers with under-developed language competency, the latter being fated to turn insufficient for preparing school students for the USE. In the article the author answers the following two research questions: what level of language competency should be demonstrated by a teacher who works in a Russian regular secondary school; what the initial level of language mastery of applicants of teacher training programmes, measured with the USE and demonstrated with its results, would be adequate for them to be academically and linguistically agile for passing the exam which is known as the Certificate in Advanced English (CAE). The methods of the research included the content analysis of official documents regulating the requirements towards teacher competency and examination procedures and assessment; longitudinal observations on language competency development (330 students were observed throughout six years); comparative analysis of examination results. The outcomes of this research may be of high value to teacher training institutions in terms of the determination of categories of programme applicants who have stronger or weaker chances to graduate as competent (job market relevant) teachers.
About the AuthorE. Shchaveleva
1. Cambridge Assessment International Education (2018). Retrieved from: https://help.cambridgeinternational.org/hc/en-gb/articles/203546481-What-level-of-Englishproficiency-should-a-teacher-or-leader-have- Accessed 1 December 2018
2. Cambridge English Teaching Framework. Competency statements (2014). Retrieved from: https://www.cambridgeenglish.org/Images/172992-full-level-descriptors-cambridge-englishteaching-framework.pdf Accessed 1 December 2018
3. Muzaev A.A. (2018) On results of research of teachers’ competency. Retrieved from: http://стандартпедагога.рф/files/display/Пленарное_заседание_Музаев_АА.pdf. Accessed 1 December 2018
4. Specification of Assessment Materials for Unified State Examination in Foreign Languages in 2013 (2013). Retrieved from: http://ege.edu.ru/common/upload/docs/iya_2013.pdf Accessed 1 December 2018
5. The Federal Portal Russian Education (2018) Retrieved from: http://www.edu.ru/news/education/sergey-kravcov-podvel-predvaritelnye-itogi-issledo/ Accessed 1 December 2018
6. The official site of RIA Novosti (2018) Retrieved from: https://ria.ru/society/20181118/1533037411.html Accessed 1 December 2018
7. The portal of Federal State Educational Standards of Higher Education (2018a). Retrieved from: http://fgosvo.ru/uploadfiles/profstandart/01.001.pdf Accessed 1 December 2018
8. The portal of Federal State Educational Standards of Higher Education (2018b). Retrieved from: http://fgosvo.ru/uploadfiles/profstandart/01.004.pdf Accessed 1 December 2018
For citation: Shchaveleva E. TO ACCEPT, OR NOT TO ACCEPT: PREREQUISITES TO ENSURE QUALITY TEACHER TRAINING. Focus on Language Education and Research. 2019;1(1):28-34.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.